Monday, November 9, 2009

And the Mother of the Year Award goes to...

NOT ME! I was so close (well, not really).
So.... Ivan has been talking about this awesome grocery store in the city for a while (PathMark) - it has a parking lot and big aisles with big shopping carts. So we decided to take a trip there last night. It really is huge and quite a difference from other grocery stores in the city. After a while Everett got fussy and needed a diaper change so I took him to the car. With much difficulty and struggle I managed to change his diaper in the back seat, strap him in his car seat and then I proceeded to head to the front seat. I closed the back door and then went to open my door to discover it was LOCKED! I immediately tried the back door again and it was locked too! I looked through the window to see Everett playing with the keys! During my debacle of trying to change a thrashing 1 year old boy in the back tiny seat - I succumbed to giving him the car keys to play with ... NEVER AGAIN! So here I am trying to rip the door off the hinges while Ivan is still in the store. I start knocking on the window and I kept telling Everett to push the button - "push the button Everett, push the button, push the button" ... I must have said it 100 times in 2 seconds - I was freaking out. A million things were running through my head - my cell phone was in the car, I couldn't call Ivan, he was probably going to come out here and break the window to get to Everett, can we call AAA, should Ivan run home and get the spare key.... "push the button Everett, push the button, PUSH THE BUTTON" ... and then finally - click!!!! I WAS IN. My heart was in my stomach. I opened the back door, grabbed the keys and gave Everett a big KISS! He loves those buttons - I'm just glad he pushed the right one. I jumped in the font seat shaking and then gave him a cracker and waited for Daddy so I could tell my tale of why I will not be receiving the Mother of the Year Award - at least not this year!


Here's Everett on the ride home...he doesn't even know what just happened!

No comments: